Saturday, February 4, 2012

If you are not hitting someone in the groin, it's not Krav Maga

Krav Maga featured on the Simpsons Source

So, I started a new kind of cross training this week, Krav Maga. It is not only a great workout, it is self defense training.  I am going with my friend Amy.   Our first lesson was a semi private lesson (just me and Amy) with the owner.  We learned a couple of punches, a groin kick, and some knee to the groin action.  We also learned how to hold the pads for each other so that we wouldn't get hurt.  It was a very fun and enjoyable experience.  We signed up for a 6 week trial period.  We got some karate bottoms and at tee shirt to wear as our uniforms. 

Yesterday we did our first group class.  I have had a stomach bug for the last couple of days and was not able to go either Wednesday or Thursday. :-(  Feeling a little better today, so that is great.  Last night was not much in the way of Krav Maga but a lot of cardio.  Normally I would not mind so much cardio.  But the fact that I have been living on saltines, graham crackers and tea made it a little difficult.  I just don't have a lot of energy.  Good news is that I didn't puke.  Bad news is that everyone in the class things I am slow and a sissy.  That's cool.  I have five more weeks to change their minds. 

There was a lot of ab work, arms using a kettle ball (which I have never ever used before), squats, running up stairs and punching a pole.  It was a pretty good workout.  My abs do not feel worse for wear, I do Pilates fairly regularly.  My arms are killing me though. 

I am glad to also be learning a little self defense.  It sounds like the classes the rest of the week are more technique then cardio.  I have been a little nervous running out in the community since I heard about SUAR's cousin's abduction in Montana.  I will be doing the virtual run for Sherry next Saturday February 11th.  This is a great cause and there is a place to donate to Sherry's family on SUAR's website.  You can print out your bibs for it here.

[image3.png]

1 comment: