Sunday, September 18, 2011

1/2 Marathon training Week 1

The training program that I am following this year is from the Disney Half Marathon Website.  It was made by Jeff Galloway.  I figured I have been following his training program all summer, I might as well use his half marathon training program too. It is an 18 week program.  This program only has you running 3 days a week.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are a 45 minute run.  There is no mileage goal just that you run for 45 minutes.  On Tuesdays, I should practice various run-walk-run strategies at race pace.  On Thursdays after a standard warm up I should run a "magic mile".   A "magic mile" is a time trial.  Jeff Galloway feels it it the best predictor of your race pace.  Generally this should be done on a track so that you can accurately run a 800 meter segment.  You time yourself running the 800 meter segment.  The first 800 meters you do not run all out.  You should run slightly faster than your current gentle pace.  You only do one "magic mile" each Thursday and then do 30 minutes of gentle jogging after the "magic mile".  Each week the goal is to beat the previous time. 
Long runs are done on Saturdays, which works out well for my work schedule.  Every other Saturday is a speed workout.  These don't start until week 3.  He says it is fine to do cross training on other days but doesn't feel it will help your running but will improve your overall fitness. 

Week 1

Sunday- Walked 3.3 miles on the treadmill

Monday- Walked 2.3 miles on the treadmill, 50 minutes of belly dance practice

Tuesday- Run 45 minutes.  I did 45 minutes with my new Garmin.  Had some trouble with it.  I accidentally turned it off .5 miles into the workout.  I did run-walk-run the 45 minutes at race pace.

Wednesday- Walked 2.2 miles on the treadmill.

Thursday- Run 45minutes.  I did 45 minutes and did get the new Garmin working for the whole time.  I did 3.58 miles.  I did not do a "magic mile" however.  I completely forgot.  I will do it this week.

Friday- Walked 2.2 miles on the treadmill. 

Saturday- Run 5.5 miles.  I did my "long" run on Saturday.  The weather was perfect.  I woke up at 7am and it was 43 degrees outside.  I got out my long sleeve running shirt and took off for a tour of my town.  I felt really good.  The cool air and low humidity really helps my breathing.  It also keeps the MS symptoms at bay.


I am pretty happy with my weeks training.  I think that I am getting the hang of my new Garmin.  I am going to have to sit down and figure out how to work the interval program.  I am hoping that this new training schedule keeps injuries down.  I did have trouble with my sciatic nerve last year during training.  It only started when my mileage started getting over 10 miles a day.  I am worried that it is not intense enough.  But we will have to wait and see.  Next week's long run is 7 miles. 

1 comment: